Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Just call me Katniss

Today was my third and final day off and I enjoyed it by spending the day learning how to shoot a bow and arrow.  Let me tell you, I was pretty excited and nervous to try it out.  My friend, Jamie, is clearly very talented in archery (she wins tournaments and stuff) and so while I was excited to have some great hands-on teaching from an experienced friend, I was a little nervous that I would be an epic fail.  We arrived at the archery range and I got fitted for a bow.  The guy showed me how to pull it back and let me practice a few times.  I looked through the scope and next time he added the arrow.  Pull back, aim, control the shakes, and release.  I hit the blue spot on the target (hey, at least I was hitting the target right) so I wasn't a complete failure.  After about three rounds of arrow (there are 5 arrows per round), I started to feel comfortable.  Jamie offered helpful advice and encouragement when needed and pretty soon I was hitting the target consistently.  I even hit the bullseye several times (the white spot!), although never directly in the middle.  It's ok though, I'll take it.  It was such a release to feel the arrow fly through the air and hear it hit the target. Way cool. I'm definitely going back for more.  The funny part was that we weren't the only women at the target range.  There were two other young women there by the time we left, which made me think that the Hunger Games must have sparked a movement in women's archery (though it was not the case for me).  I did end the afternoon on a pretty sweet shot of 5: 
(take with my cell phone camera)

Anyway, it was a really fun day.  Jamie is so fun to hang out with.  And on top of our archery adventure, the leaves were just amazing today! So of course I brought my camera along and continued my fall photography fun.  Here are a few of the shots from my time this afternoon.  Can you tell how much I love fall???? 



 These two (top and bottom) are my favorite from this shoot...





No comments:

Post a Comment