Thursday, February 9, 2012

Starting fresh...

In my opininon, starting out on an oncology unit of a hospital is a big challenge for a new graduate nurse. Of course that's just my opinion.  :)  The patient population is complicated to say the least.  Cancer patients face many challenges and deal with complicated issues on all fronts: medically, psychologically, financially, spiritually, socially.  Cancer affects every aspect of a person's life.  As nurses, we don't just address the medical needs of patients, but instead look at the whole person, the big picture.  I've been an oncology nurse for roughly 5 months now.  I have decided it's time to blog about the journey in an effort to process the vast emotions that accompany the job of caring for cancer patients. Hopefully in time, I will look back through my posts and see my growth as a professional nurse.  I guess I kind of see myself as a newbie nurse who is learning to fly...and I'm excited about what I will see as I learn to soar. 




No comments:

Post a Comment