Thursday, January 24, 2013

Let the Juicing begin!

This week I bought my first juicer. While I love my Ninja, it doesn't quite do the job for true juicing by getting rid of the pulp.  You might be asking, "Why the heck are you juicing??"  Basically, I'm trying a new way to get more fruits and vegetables into my diet. Frankly, I'm much rather drink my vegetables than eat them these days.  So I purchased a juicer this week and have started the juicing experience!  Today I tried my hand at carrot ginger juice.  Recipe: 5 carrots, 1 piece of ginger. Simple enough right?







Well, turns out that you want a small SLICE of ginger, not a WHOLE ginger root.  :)  So the first sip of this delicious juice wasn't quite so delicious.  It actually burned a bit going down!! Ha! Luckily I added some oranges and apples to neutralized the ginger a bit and it helped mask the intensity.  Then it tasted pretty good! Next time, I'll remember to use a small piece of ginger and add more for flavor if needed.

Other juices that I've tried so far include: strawberry, apple, & orange;  papaya & banana;  Next on the list to try is spinach and cucumber, celery and carrots.  Did you know that celery has tranquilizing properties?

I found some great recipes online...check them out by clicking here if you're interested!  Happy Juicing! Bottoms up!


3 comments:

  1. My favorite is kale, cucumber, celery, apple, lemon, and ginger : ) I was way scared to incorporate the veggies at first but it's yummy!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love adding kale, cucumber, and spinach in. But I always have to go easy with the celery - it's very strong and will take over all the other flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips ladies. I've got those ingredients in my fridge and the kale/cucumber base is next on my list!

    ReplyDelete