Friday, July 20, 2012

Enjoying a green thumb

Even though we got a late start, the urban garden is doing well! We primarily have tomatoes and peppers, but it looks like the watermelon, squash, strawberries and basil are thriving too. I haven't really maintained a garden since I was a young girl.  My grandmother kept two gardens, one at home and one at the lake cabin.  It seemed like she was always out in the garden doing something...now I know why!  It really was a lot of fun to help her pick strawberries, beans, carrots, cucumbers and even help pick the weeds.  I didn't realize just how much work it is to maintain the darn things!! This summer has been such a scortcher so I've been watering the plants twice a day. This week John and I finally got the soaker hose set up on a timer and go figure, it's rained the past two days!! Ha. Nature has a sense of humor.  Anyway, it's nice regardless of the rain.  The cherry tomatoes have been delicious so far and we've got a few super spicy chilis that are turning red...so fingers crossed we'll be makin' salsa soon (in my Ninja of course)!! Here's to the rest of summer and the joy of timers!!




No comments:

Post a Comment