Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Old House made new

October 30th marks our one year anniversary owning This Old House. As I worked on the house this weekend I realized I'm over due for an update. This Old House is starting to look new!

Remember how it looked last fall...

Well...I'd say a lot has changed in a year!


Here's the final color scheme! 

Where to begin?? First off, the demolition is completely finished and TOH smells like fresh sawdust and new construction instead of dusty insulation and yuck!  Siding excitement was put on hold for a few weeks while the hubby finished framing up the inside. We added pocket doors to the master bedroom walk-in closets (now I won't have to look at the messy closets)!  Then we were ready for HVAC guys to run duct work and plumbing guys to rough in the plumbing. Talk about exciting! Those HVAC guys can work fast and the heating is ready for first inspection. So we're back to siding and outside work while we wait for the plumbers to come.

This past weekend, we put in 18 hours in 2 days and finished siding the West side of the house (just the back side and the porch left!). Caulking, painting and more siding continue as we push ahead to beat the cold weather. 

I had my first fall from a plank this weekend. Thankfully we were only 4 feet off the ground so I only scuffed up my legs a little. It was sort of funny... John was nailing the siding piece and I was holding it, moving left one step at a time. I kept sliding over and over and then whoops, there's a 18 inch hole between the planks and in it I fell. I sort of felt like it was something you'd see on a cartoon! :)  I'm glad it happened while we were only 4 ft off the ground and not 20 ft.

We've also moved on to the exciting point of picking out the innards! Bath tubs, sinks, counter tops, lighting and cabinets...you know the fun design stuff.  I'm getting excited, can you tell? I finally have a vision for each room and it's so fun to start to piece it together.

Back to it! Hopefully the next update will include insulation and sheet rock :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment